#4 Top Attraction in Pennsylvania: Eastern State Penitentiary
Most Favorite Tourist Attractions in Pennsylvania is The Eastern State Penitentiary
about Eastern State Penitentiary
For some, it might be difficult to visit the Eastern State Penitentiary, as it has a strong emotional charge. Walking through its gates, right in downtown Philadelphia, it is hard to recreate all those hard times when 75,000 inmates gothic-style buildings and atone their prison sentences.
Eastern State Penitentiary: interesting facts
- The Eastern State Penitentiary was first opened in 1829.
- This penitentiary was a progressive prison, like most in this country
- Convicts were placed in private cells, as the leaders of the institutions thought that no contact with other inmates would make the prisoner become remorseful for what they did
- The prisoners were allowed to read-only Bible materials
- The activity of the penitentiary lasted only 142 years, so it was finally closed in 1971
- Even the building was abandoned, somehow, it got protection from a possible wrecking ball
- Since 1994, the penitentiary is opened for visitors to tour the grounds including the cell of where the infamous mobster Al Capone had stayed
Fun Facts about The Eastern State Penetentiary
- Eastern State Penitentiary remained in history due to a very fun fact. The buildings had running water even before the White House.
2) This famous Penitentiary was used to film videos and movies such as 12 Monkeys
#4 Attraction in Pennsylvania: Odd Truth
Well, while some might think that once visiting the Penitentiary, they would feel sad and emotionally charged. Well, as odd as it might sound, the Eastern State Penitentiary is a must-see place to visit while being in the heart of Philly.
Although it is hard to believe, you can enjoy the quiet and peaceful area and wander around for a couple of hours.
2027 Fairmont Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19130
Hello friends, glad you could make it. Imagine if you could completely catapult your travel experience to the next level. That’s what kalistravelguide.com set out to do.
Sign up here Contact Kali for all of my insider tips, reviews, strategies and the best of Travel Deals.
Are you ready? Because this is what following your dreams looks like. Enjoy!-Kali
12 Most Strange & Unique Places to Visit in Mexico
Mexico’s one-of-a kind destinations Due to the diverse culture and traditions, there is no wonder why Mexico continues to be one of the most special places in the world to
Erin Condren Seasonal Surprises 2021-2022 Update
Great News! 15% Off Sitewide Sale be sure to follow our social media pages as we reveal a surprise Daily Deal each day! These daily deals, surprises, and steals are
Guide to the Tastiest Lancaster Breweries
Guide to the Tastiest Lancaster Breweries If you come to Lancaster, PA, it’s a pity not to enjoy everything the city and its traditions have to offer. And the brewing
63 National Parks by State+Map
As of December 2020, there are now 63 Protected National Parks in the U.S. The Worldwide National Park movement started to evolve when an area of Yellowstone National Park was
Guide to 7 Easy Smoky Mountain Waterfalls
7 Easy Waterfall Trails in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park If you enjoy the scenic outdoors, look no further. Here are 7 Easy Trails With Great Smoky Mountain Waterfalls that